Friday, December 18, 2015

First Words

Social media is a slippery slope, and I’m sliding: from tweeting in June to blogging before the year is out. Why? Because 140 characters proved to be both enticing and insufficient. Twitter has shaken loose ideas I didn’t know I had. Connections I’ve made have (whether intentionally or unwittingly) encouraged my voice, bringing me to this next precipice -- not yet sure what I have to say, but curious to find out.

Another motivator is that, while I’m proud of the reading life I already share with the middle-school students I teach, any writing life has been mostly theoretical. Until now. So, here I go with a simple premise. I’ll permit myself to stretch from a character limit to a comparable word count.


These 140 words logged before New Year’s represent my ball drop, but can I keep the ball rolling?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! It's an amazing journey which has brought me deep reflection and many powerful connections. Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian,
    I'm so glad you took the plunge into blogging! I think it is so true that we often talk about our reading lives with our students but not so much our writing lives. Since I started blogging last February, I've really made it a point to share my writing life with my students and let them know that I blog and struggle at times with my writing. I wrote a post last year for the Nerdy Book Club and I told them how I revised it many times because it mattered so much to me. The day it was published on the Nerdy Book Club site, I read it to them. This year, I have a sign outside my door that says "Mrs. Sokolowski is currently reading... and Mrs. Sokolowski is currently writing..." so they see that I'm always reading something and always working on something as a writer. From our days in the Long Island Writing Project, we know that walking the walk is best when it comes to being a teacher of writing. I will look forward to your blog posts! I also invite you to check out the Two Writing Teachers community to grow your blog audience. Every Tuesday, we host a Slice of Life where teacher bloggers write on their own blog and then provide the link to it in the comments of the Two Writing Teachers page. The idea is to read and comment on three other blogs. The community is comprised of the most generous, passionate, talented teachers and it is a great place for teacher bloggers to grow. Hope to read more from you in 2016!

    ReplyDelete