Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Gambling Man - 3.1 #sol16 Story Challenge

If I rule out fundamental physiological needs -- the ones, like sleeping and eating, that Abraham Maslow parked at the base of his eponymous pyramid -- I wonder: Have I ever done anything for 31 straight days?

In a word, nope.

Which begs a second question: What are the chances writing proves as fundamental to my daily life as, um, breathing? I remain dubious. Yet here I am, not having felt such a kindred sense of anticipation since trying Teachers Write nearly four years ago. One good writing community may deserve another; that doesn't mean I can't still fret about drafting while school's in session as opposed to during summer's comparatively uncluttered days.

Let's put the odds at 50/50 of March's leonine entrance rendering me a slaughtered lamb before (beware!) the Ides arrive. At the same time, I finished reading Jessica Lahey's The Gift of Failure yesterday, so I'm primed to learn from this experience anyway we slice it. 

Guess I'll take the over.


4 comments:

  1. Slicing for 31 days seemed an impossible task to me 6 years ago. I had just started blogging and didn't have a clue what I was getting myself into. I know now that I will hit a wall and it will seem easier to quit, but if I push forward and even let myself publish ugly posts, I will make it to the end. Take the over...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facing 31 blank pages does seem a bit overwhelming at first, I'll agree. What I discovered in my first year of slicing is that it gets easier each day! I began to not only notice things around me but spend time noticing them rather than seeing them in passing. Once I spent time noticing the important and the mundane, the writing came more easily each day. It's still amazing to me what I will find to write about...especially around the mid-month point when the habit has formed to write each and every day. Good luck to you and I look forward to reading your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Slice of Life Challenge! There will be hard days, but this community is wonderful. I told my students today that sometimes I write about not knowing what to write about. They didn't believe me. Good luck on this journey. I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it! Last year I accepted the challenge and while I didn't slice for 31 days, I was proud of the how far I made it. I'm back for a second year and am striving for 31 days in 2016!

    ReplyDelete