Thursday, March 31, 2016

Gambling man, on the far side of March - 3.31 #sol16 Story Challenge

Fittingly, at the Free Technology for Teachers site yesterday, Richard Byrne shared ways to generate blog topics. One of his thoughts was, "Update old posts," and that led me to reread how I started this month-long Slice of Life Story Challenge.

I'm glad I believed in myself and took the over.

Now, on the 31st, I feel like I just went through the opposite of a cleanse. (Is there a word for that?) I feel, I don't know, disheveled, writing ideas littered all around me. I've noticed I now spend moments during my day asking, "What can I write about?" That's a new sensation, one I'd like to hang onto. What I wonder is: Can I ease off the relentless daily throttle, yet still maintain a semblance of writing routine? Weekly slices, perhaps? Or do I need to go cold writing turkey until March 2017, simply in order to refill my topic tank before next year's challenge? I expect I'll need to write my way to those answers.

For now, warm thank yous to the Two Writing Teachers blog, its supportive slicing community, to all who took time to read and write back, and especially to Kathleen Sokolowski who goaded me into this, then cheered each step I took to work my way out.

6 comments:

  1. Keep it going with Tuesdays! I know what you mean about the opposite of cleanse and the wondering about easing off the daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it going with Tuesdays! I know what you mean about the opposite of cleanse and the wondering about easing off the daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't go on a writing fast until next March! Jump in on Tuesdays! I have enjoyed your slices. They made me laugh and think. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Brian, you are far too talented to wait until next year . . . hey that's a Chicago team's motto ( I lived in Chicago most of my life ;-) ) See you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian! I'm so proud of you! It was such a fortunate stroke of luck to reconnect across states, many years after our LIWP summer. I'm so grateful to become friends again and glad you embraced this challenge. I looked forward to your writing each day! Hope you come by on Tuesdays... I think you'll find it keeps your writerly life growing while being far less exhausting than the March challenge! Congrats on an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's the weird thing...I wrote about the same thing--looking back at my first post AND I was also egged on by Kathleen Sokolowski! (through a tweet I found). It is hard for me to believe that you weren't already writing every day. I have so enjoyed checking your blog for a giggle each night. I have been doing this since 2012 and I always feel a little lost on April 1. All day long I notice topics for blog posts...it becomes part of your life. I will plan to check in a couple times throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete