Sunday, March 13, 2016

I know where the time goes - 3.13 #sol16 Story Challenge

The word 'procrastination' incorporates a Latin root, meaning 'tomorrow,' the idea being that someone engaged in procrastination puts off until the next day a responsibility that deserves sooner attention. Fitting then, that I just gleaned this tidbit from frittering away a moment I could've devoted to more pressing tasks (such as those from the list of things I'm avoiding).

Aside from Internet rabbit holes of etymology, the chief places where I procrastinate are libraries. I live within walking distance of one branch and easy biking distance of three more, making me both lucky and doomed. I regularly head to the library with good intentions for productive work. "I will remove myself from distractions at home and become a grading or lesson-planning machine" -- that's my line of shaky reasoning. What actually happens is I plop myself into a building that effectively was the Internet before the Internet existed, and I proceed to wander shelves laden with books, magazines, movies, and music. "Not all those who wander are lost," wrote J. R. R. Tolkien, but I know I feel most delightfully lost in libraries.

Just yesterday I got lost in library copies of Drowned City by Don Brown and Nimona by Noelle Stevenson before managing some semblance of work. Might a 12-step or some equivalent program help me reliably channel procrastination into productivity? Hmm, I bet I know just the place to explore that question...


8 comments:

  1. Wonderful slice! I always tell my writing students that we should reframe procrastination and call it percolation when we're talking about writing, but with other tasks--yes, the grading and lesson-planning--there's really no other word but procrastination. What wonderful books to get lost in--Drowned City is one of my favorites from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm giggling at your words describing the library as the internet before the internet existed. How true is that? Except, at least it seemed/seems like we come away a little more fulfilling than if we frittered our afternoon away on the internet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am only a block from my library too, that "internet before internet", & don't stay away often. Love your own meandering today, while I assume you are procrastinating. It may be thought of as bad, but you entertained us thoroughly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such truth...we get lost in our pursuit to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you! So many tasks waiting. I've always loved the library. It's my happy place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The internet before the internet existed"...perfect! I remember as a child, my mom would take me to the library every week. I remember wandering the stacks and feeling like there were so many possibilities there. I still feel that way today...even with the internet at my fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doomed. Luckily, I am quite a ways from a library...except when I visit my mom in the summer. I can spend five hours at the library down the block. It's a perfect time to hang out and not feel like I'm procrastinating. There should be a 12 step program...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of a better place to get lost in procrastination!

    ReplyDelete