Saturday, March 5, 2016

Lost & fun - 3.5 #sol16 Story Challenge

IMPORTANT MATERIAL arrived in Friday's mail from State of Israel Bonds. It turned out that at some murky moment in the past (bar mitzvah age, maybe?) I received one or more gifts of government bonds. Enough time has now unspooled for me to claim them. More accurately, the elapsed time covers the maturation of these investments, me forgetting about them completely, and now being reminded that they exist. So said Abandoned Property Advisors LLC -- the aptly named entity that offered to reunite me and this money, minus a tidy commission.

I'm having a difficult time, though, focusing on that opportunity because I can't stop wondering if these Abandoned Property Advisors know the whereabouts of the box of books I left in a Brooklyn basement during my hasty, haphazard move of 2003. Might APA also have a bead on stray socks lost in the last several laundry loads? Or my favorite gel-ink pen that writes so smoothly and gets misplaced roughly every third day. For that matter, what kind of finder's fee might be attached to the childhood blankie I regret throwing away when its fraying silky edge finally unraveled completely? All such memories and mementos ought to be recoverable by the experts, don't you think? And couldn't APA make a killing just contracting with the parents of your average middle-school student?

No doubt, I'd call these folks directly to ask these questions if I could only find where I put down my phone...

8 comments:

  1. I've lost an entire box of books on a move facilitated by the military. And the whole last role of photos from my wedding. Wondering if the know of their wear-abouts? Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me but your ears must have been ringing when your name came up at the LI Writing Project workshop I attended today about blogging. I think someone said you were on the SOL site and had been a participant in a Summer Institute

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a continuation of the above (the site wouldn't let me continue. Anyway...I loved your post today because anyone can relate to it. Who hasn't lost, misplaced, carelessly discarded something they wish they had kept. I just lost my favorite pair of shoes a week ago and have checked everywhere I can think of, including 2 yoga workshop sites, but no shoes. I keep hoping they'll show up. Or maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sticking with the finicky site, Barbara. Yes, I participated in the LIWP Summer Institute back in 2012. I recently re-connected via Twitter, and now here I am! Glad you enjoyed this post. Hope you either find your beloved shoes or another pair steps up to fill the void.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could I get the phone number for the lost sock agency please? We have an entire drawer full of singles that are waiting to be reunited with their other halves. Great post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a funny word that describes where all the sock singles are: The Hozone.

      Delete
  6. If you find someone who deals in locating such lost items, please share. I could use someone like that at my house.

    ReplyDelete