Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Me in the middle - 3.15 #sol16 Story Challenge

Do the ides of March still merit wariness? The midpoint of the month means we're (nearly) halfway through this blogging challenge so, in a word, "Yay!" And those thoughts just jarred my brain into recalling a slice about middles, my cerebral cells cuing up "Stuck in the Middle with You" by Steelers Wheels.

That song triggers a visceral memory from college -- or maybe the memory triggers me hearing the song? (Side note: brains are magical plastic places; a little weird, too.) At any rate, I'm hunkered down in the dive movie theater just off campus, and the newly released Reservoir Dogs is lighting up the screen. As guitars strum a lilting rhythm, actor Tom Sizemore (Brain, why do you remember that name??) prepares to do some slicing of his own. I sit fascinated and horrified by a movie unlike any I've seen before. I leave the theater jittery. The film's blend of banter and brutality between a cast of literally colorful characters has me vibrating like an iron filing in the middle of two magnetic poles.

I wonder: Could that simile be effective enough to end this slice right there, fittingly in the middle? In the eye of the ides?

6 comments:

  1. The line "has me vibrating like an iron filing in the middle of two magnetic poles" is going to stick with me. So much playfulness in this post... it's a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The line "has me vibrating like an iron filing in the middle of two magnetic poles" is going to stick with me. So much playfulness in this post... it's a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After bringing up Reservoir Dogs (oh my), your simile is a fitting end to the post. My brain does bring up strange connections more than I sometimes want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed your posts this month. They always make me think in some way, whether it's the playful use of words or the ideas themselves. Nicely done...half way there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, your writing takes me to new places in my thinking. I always enjoy your play on words and your creative ideas. Half way there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm. Yes. That is a perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete