Saturday, March 26, 2016

Mixing metaphors re: reading - 3.26 #sol16 Story Challenge

Today is a reading day.

My wife is a self-proclaimed book bulimic. She goes long stretches without reading and then spends nearly a full rotation of the planet sequestered with a book. Once it was The Da Vinci Code in a back-country cabin; today it is The Emerald Mile on our living-room couch. Come to think of it, a better metaphor (less fraught) might be: she's a book camel -- a single read sustaining her through extended miles of her journey until she arrives at the next unexpected literacy oasis.

Different analogies describe my reading. I'm usually more of a plodder, the tortoise to her hare. Most days, I read slow and steady: commuting on the bus, before going to bed, to name two predictable examples. Reading for me builds inexorable momentum. It's an accretion of snowflakes, any title holding the potential to release a powerful avalanche that will sweep me almost faster than I want to go to the end.


10 comments:

  1. I loved your reading metaphors and your comparison between you and your wife. It's funny how differently we all enjoy the "sport" of reading, but enjoy it nevertheless! I think I'm more like you...I wrote last night about how I read too slowly to get books from the library; I have to buy them so I can enjoy over time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your reading metaphors and your comparison between you and your wife. It's funny how differently we all enjoy the "sport" of reading, but enjoy it nevertheless! I think I'm more like you...I wrote last night about how I read too slowly to get books from the library; I have to buy them so I can enjoy over time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your reading metaphors and how you compared yourself with your wife. Each enjoying their reading time very differently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These metaphors made me smile! A reading camel-love that!!!! I was hoping for a reading day; but it didn't work out-maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your metaphors! I'm going to share this with my students and see what they come up with for themselves. :) And, I'm going to check out The Emerald Mile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: Emerald Mile - nonfiction account of historic boat run through Grand Canyon

      Delete
  6. I think, using your metaphors, I am a reading camel. I read and get caught up in a book and then I need a little break to rid myself of the characters and lives I have been sharing before I can begin a new journey. Love your metaphors today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Reading for me builds inexorable momentum."--a perfect sentence. My husband can read a book in a couple hours. It takes me a couple weeks. I tell him I'm getting more out of it, that my money goes further for each story. And I believe I'm right! (of course)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the contrast in your reading styles. It doesn't matter how you read, just that you DO read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great metaphors! I loved the imagery in the last line- the snowflakes that accumulate to the avalanche of thought. I'm going to keep that image. :)

    ReplyDelete