Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Flying sauces

As I've scribbled here before, I like to cook. My approach in the kitchen swings from improvisational and intuitive to cookbook digging and implementing, the latter fueling the former. During my current summer-reading binge, I scarfed down Seven Spoons by Tara O'Brady. It's a delightfully narrative book. I also enjoyed how the author scatters insightful nuggets of why amid all the what and how. My biggest take-away, though: the alchemy of sauces.

Picture a humble bowl of fruit and plain yogurt (perhaps less humble when bulked up overnight into pudding with chia seeds, as O'Brady directs). Drizzle that with what she calls "Golden Honey Elixir" and, next thing you know, you'll be hijacking Shakespeare. Because: The sauce's the thing that makes the dish sing.

For the elixir, stir these ingredients together and let them hang out for at least 30 minutes: 3/4 cup honey, 3 tbs grated ginger, 2 tbs cider vinegar, zest of 1 lemon, 1 tbs + 1 tsp turmeric, 1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Let's keep the word play and recipe sharing going with a second UFO - Unexpectedly Flavorful Object! This sauce, O'Brady ribbons over fried chicken, which she evocatively calls "bee-stung." I went off label and glazed grilled pork chops with its sweet-spicy goodness.

For this condiment, combine 3 tbs butter with 3 tbs honey in a small pot over low heat. When that melts together, stir in 2 tbs Korean pepper paste (gochujang - trickier to procure, but if there's an Asian market in your town, you're set). Add to the mix 1 more tsp of heat (O'Brady touts a Korean pepper powder called gochugaru; I used cayenne, which she offered as an alternative) and 1/2 clove of garlic (O'Brady says grated; I minced and - gasp - used a whole clove, albeit a small one). Pour this syrupy concoction over the meat, and happiness ensues.

In these recipes and others, O'Brady reminded me of sauces' heady magic to transform what lies beneath. I see a metaphor to apply when wearing my other hat as teacher designing lessons, but that's a topic for a different blog entry. Mean time, if you're looking for kitchen inspiration, check out Seven Spoons -- itself a blog as well as a book.


6 comments:

  1. Those sauces have some rather adventurous ingredients. You promise they are truly UFOs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As yumminess may lie in the tastebuds of the beholder, I can offer a hedgy promise, Elsie. My senses say, "Yes!"

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Brian for the tip to go to the blog. I found an interesting recipe with two of my favorite ingredients (orange and cocunut): EMMA GALLOWAY'S TAHINI, ORANGE + COCONUT TOASTED MUESLI. This was a fun blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post and learning more about you! My absolute favorite part was about the humble bowl of fruit and yogurt being less humble with the chia seeds bulking it up. I seriously laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read about food. I'm going to try out these sauces! These days I am crazy about Burmese/Myanmar food. I've been reading Burma by Naomi Duguid. It is filled with information about the country and so far, every dish I've made is fabulous. My recent addiction is Burmese carrot salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pointer in a new culinary direction for me, Cheriee.

      Delete