Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Alternative energy

Where I live, against the foothills of the Rockies, it can get windy. Like yesterday. Depending on where you were in these parts, winds might've gusted between 40 and 70 miles per hour. Leaves flew everywhere, and a few branches came down. Colleagues and I stubbornly sat outside for lunch, trying to keep our food containers from blowing onto ourselves or each other.

Then last night, as I settled in by my laptop, preparing to finish some work and thinking of what slice I might write, the power went out.

I sat in the black, listening to my apartment shudder and mentally listing the abundance I so often take for granted. My eyes adjusting, I began to see the moon's pale light bathing everything. My mind adjusted, too. I changed my plans to include reading by headlamp and early bedtime.

9 comments:

  1. I like the tenacity of you and your coworkers eating outside despite the less-than-perfect conditions. The image of you struggling to keep the food containers under control was vivid, as was the image of sitting and reflecting in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life does have a way of laughing at us when we make a plans doesn't it. I love that you read by headlamp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely lesson for us all...adapt! You tapped into the real "alternative energy"...your mind, and made the necessary adjustments. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also loved your adaptability and that the power going out allowed you to notice the moon's light and enjoy some reading time (by headlamp! Must get one of those...)

      Delete
  4. We were under a severe weather advisory all weekend. I made sure my cell phone & laptop were fully charged. A tree went down in my neighborhood, but, unlike many others, we didn't lose power. Although I thought of reading by candlelight as a romantic gesture, I am relieved I didn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A book, a headlamp and an early bedtime=my idea of heaven! Glad you were able to adjust to the loss of electricity and hope it didn't last too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how it takes a little darkness to help us count the bright spots....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes our plans are altered for good reason. Sounds like a perfect night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice--"mentally listing the abundance I so often take for granted"

    ReplyDelete