Monday, October 24, 2016

Milestone & millstone

Monday, I graduated. From physical therapy. It felt good. And weird.

The good part: Who wouldn't like to know that his surgically repaired leg is functionally comparable to its un-operated on neighbor?

The weird: Any previous graduations that I can recall (all education related) came with a comforting sense of finality; I knew I wouldn't be doing over, say, high school or college. Not so in this case, as a surgery and PT-free future is promised to no one.

Of course, there are both productive and preventive steps I can take to keep myself in working order. That doesn't mean, though, that I'm not staring across a vertiginous chasm of new risk/reward calculus. Anticipating a sportier future after five months of diligent rehab, I miss my former aura of invincibility -- false or not.


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This is me nodding in vehement agreement :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Brian. I remember when my PT told me that I should go off on my own. My first thought was "I don't want to leave". Now, I am back at yoga and of course very cautious. Best of luck to you as you now have your wings and limbs back in working order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement & positive example, Carol.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a cupcake moment, with invincibility sprinkles. Sorry you had the long haul but glad that you are back to mostly full strength.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lift, Kevin. Cupcakes make everything better!

      Delete
  4. This getting older gig is fraught with uncertainties! I hope the repaired leg proves invincible enough soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is a virtue. Patience + invincibility... Wow, look out!

      Delete
  5. Strap on your knee brace and as you run and jump, let the soundtrack for The Six-Milion Dollar Man play in your head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If that's the key, Adrienne, I may be ahead of the curve. See proof from late August... https://www.wevideo.com/view/721072298

      Delete
  6. As my should surgeon prepared a cortisone shot two months ago, he gently remarked, "it would be good to remember that's not an 18 year-old shoulder any more." A year and a half out from surgery? Ah, hell.

    Go get 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you are better and the pull for adventures is there again...you will find many, I think. Extreme frisbee is calling your name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clearly you are devoted to becoming "nearly" invincible. This is good.
    I, too, feel less than invincible.

    ReplyDelete