Sunday, October 16, 2016

Top Five - a #sunchatbloggers production

As superheros go, Batman is mostly a regular guy. (You know, as regular as an orphaned, vengeful, reclusive, monomaniacal billionaire can be.) He just happens to carry a lot of useful stuff. This gives me hope as a teacher, and I consider these five items key components in my teaching utility belt.

Awesome Screenshot extension: Virtual grappling hook for grabbing screenshots. Crop 'em, annotate 'em, make demonstrations make sense.

Power Tools Google sheets add-on: Suite of tools that have potential to work mind control on spreadsheet cells. Lately, I'm a fan of the Data Random Generator. Pair that with a class roster and mix up groups of various sizes with the click of a button. Sometimes students choose with whom to work; other times I group intentionally; and yet other times we're jokers who roll the proverbial dice.

Giphy site: If pictures are worth a thousand words, what's the going rate for moving pictures? This collection of GIFs turns documents (hyper or otherwise) into -- pow! -- fun Saturday morning cartoons, not to mention livening up Google forms, Tweets, or even e-mail.

Classroom Organizer site: For a class library, it's like Uber meets the Batmobile. More flexible and faster than circulating books via loose-leaf scribbles kept on a clipboard.

Diigo extension: When resource listicles fly around the Internet, this social bookmarking site plays Robin -- a worthy sidekick who has my organizing back.

Thanks, #sunchatbloggers, for the encouragement and writing inspiration. Which tools top your list for utility?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of some of these - thanks for the inspiration to check some new things out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of ANY of these--well except the "orphaned, vengeful, reclusive, monomaniacal billionaire". I did mention I only started to blog in Jan? Thanks Brian. I am going to check out Giphy first! #sunchatbloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most welcome, Jillian. Good reminder of unexpected value in sharing: what's familiar to me could be new gift for someone else. Hope you like what you find.

      Delete
  3. I can't tell you how much fun I had reading your post after you introduced your topic with Batman! I kept thinking about ourselves as teachers each having a neato utility belt equipped with each of the sites and extensions!

    I'm a big fan of the Bitly extension, One Tab extension, Padlet, and Pocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear you had a fun-filled visit, Joanne. Thanks for sharing a few go-to items from your own belt.

      Delete