Monday, November 7, 2016

9+ slices from EdTechTeam Colorado Summit

Google for Education may be going through an identity crisis: Exit apps and GAFE, in with Suite, and subsequent hashtag scrambling. But that doesn't mean the past weekend's Colorado Summit wasn't stuffed with learning. Here are some bits and links I took away...
  • Notion #1: The latest and greatest technology we've used today is probably the worst version that a five-year-old growing up today may ever see. Notion #2: Grades are a false endpoint in a world of continuous iteration, and they undermine critical thinking. Thanks for the insights, Jamie Casap. Both ideas have implications for the present and future of learning.
  • Google Feud offered addictive play based on search results. Thanks, Sandra Chow.
  • Sandra also encouraged me to re-see GSlides as a collaborative platform for differentiating tasks for students, not just for presentations.
  • My mind reeled -- literally and figuratively -- when taking in 360° videos or visuals. See YouTube or the New York Times for examples. Thanks, Micah Shippee.
  • BadgeU, a GSheets add-on, may just bring DIY credentialing within reach for me and reluctant independent readers with whom I work. Thanks, Dan Sharpe.
  • Dan also tipped off the demo slam audience to GIFit!, an extension for clipping GIFs from YouTube videos.
  • In my brain, I'm still turning over keynote comment that each person in the audience was the oldest we've ever been and the youngest we'll ever be. What might that mean for me? Do those words belong on a fortune cookie, or do they have more staying power? Thanks for the provocation, Molly Schroeder.
  • Folks like Julie Stewart are implementing creative changes at the classroom level, re-imagining learning spaces, while folks like Brendan Brennan are spreading far-reaching moonshot ideas for the whole education system. Our field and our future are dynamic.
  • The advancing armies of Bitmoji'd or Androidify'd avatars made my hand-made caricature self quake in his digital boots.

7 comments:

  1. We are a GAFE school, but my last google Summit was two years ago. I tried to use badges last year for my Classroom Slice of Life Challenge, but failed to keep up with it- maybe this year with BadgeU. I can see google Feud sucking some of my time in the future. There is so much I love about technology. I am trying to get up the courage to apply for the ADE course and need to get my stuff sorted to do the Google online training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for bouncing back your experiences, Erika. For what it's worth, Working at a GAFE school prepared me well for L1 and L2 Google certs.

      Delete
  2. That's a whole lot of tech going on ... I always get antsy when I see a business like Google changing the nature of its educational spaces. I know that is my knee-jerk reaction (but already, the change in the research tool in Google Docs to Explore in the latest GAFE has me frustrated, as I teach its use to students all the times .. that's another post for another time).
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Kevin. Probably counts as irony that, in response, I'd share more tech: Slate's Google Graveyard for defunct products. https://goo.gl/47cN9 At the summit, emissaries of the company itself tried to acclimate me to its pace of change.

      Delete
  3. Exciting Brian. Thanks for sharing the workings of your mind as you take in Google innovation. More more more!!!!
    Bonnie K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, sometimes less is more ;) Power in restraint as I try to remind myself on occasion.

      Delete
  4. #gafesummit #gsuitesummit #edtechteam It's helpful for me to look back over your reflections a week later as I continue to process and integrate some of what I learned! Off to write my reflection post...

    ReplyDelete