Monday, January 30, 2017

I can't believe it's not a run-on sentence

The very same week that figurative doors around our country were slammed shut by a ham-fisted executive order, I witnessed two hours of middle-school spelling bee in which students (their familial roots stretching across Asia, Europe, and the Americas) deconstructed words that sifted into English from French, Spanish, Latin, Arabic, and Native American dialects -- a juxtaposition that left my mind reeling and my head shaking.

8 comments:

  1. I love how poetic it is! I do an activity with my students in which we start with a really short sentence like "the cat ran" then come up with more and more details until it is a complex/compound sentence. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are amazing! I know that we have some fantastic leaders coming ahead if we look inside our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking a breath after reading your sentence in my head.
    :)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an amazing non-run-on sentence! I, too, am worried about students whose parents are mostly from someplace other than the USA, and wanted to write about them, but couldn't get it to work. You have done it marvelously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You say so much with so little. :-) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian, we all are taking a deep breath here after your profound statement. My response - Yes for school melting pots - Nay for political upheavals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our future is bright...continue celebrating what our students can do, as opposed to what they can't do!

    ReplyDelete