Thursday, March 9, 2017

Clean language - 3.9 #sol17 Story Challenge

Push came to shove so, at this moment, I'm doing laundry. That reminds me...

A memorable time I did laundry was December 28, 2015. My wife and I were bicycle touring in Taiwan; we had found our way to Little Liuqiu Island; and we needed clean clothes.

Carrying a stuff sack of mostly mentionables, I hoofed it up the street to where I had been told I could find a self-serve laundromat. This establishment basically turned out to be a garage with washing machines and dryers. Inside, this is what confronted me:

For an English teacher who prides himself on his literacy skills, this was a humbling experience. I felt sudden empathy for language learners.

I resorted to a blend of background knowledge plus trial and error. In the end, I was successful in that none of our clothes got any dirtier due to choices I made.

2 comments:

  1. Humbling I am sure, the photo helps convey this. A great reminder for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a good laundry story! You would hope laundry would be universal...,

    ReplyDelete