Saturday, March 4, 2017

Do what I'm told - 3.4 #sol17 Story Challenge

When I'm early in a month-long daily blogging challenge and someone says, "You should blog about that," I tend to take such advice.

In a Twitter chat this morning, on the topics of creativity and innovation, I blurted:
save image

I heard back this from a #sunchatbloggers buddy:
save image

And then the sentiment, seconded:
save image
So here's a slice beyond the initial character-constrained banter.

The K-12 school where I teach holds seven staff development days annually once school's in session. The latest happened yesterday. For the first hour, our staff soaks in provocative videos (often of the TED variety) and unpacks what they might mean for our learners, our teaching, and our community. Cue Elizabeth Gilbert on curiosity, Ramsey Musallam on learning sparks, Daniel Amen on brain development, and Sir Ken Robinson on edu revolutions -- ideas he broached in 2010, by the way.

Other shoes at school have started dropping lately: related initiatives to encourage collaboration, to back staff who want to innovate, to spark students to do more than just comply, to shake up what had previously seemed like sacred curricular cows. Meanwhile, a lot of very real constraints including time, space, learning materials, financial resources, family expectations, and state and federal testing demands are starting to act like antsy elephants in the room. To say nothing of the ever-shifting district, state, and federal education ground.

Those are some dynamics swirling around and through me, prompting me to cast this morning's characters.

4 comments:

  1. Brian, Twitter chats are provocative and can lead to other thoughts. Hence, your post came forth from a chart. I plan on using the Elizabeth Gilbert video you showed at a regional meeting and it is all thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't I know it, Carol, when the topic is Twitter chats? :) Thanks for stopping by and checking out links. Happy you found a worthy one!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for inspiring me. I too sense rebranding from a district stand. Of course, I am trying to affect change there myself. Power to the revolution. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for responding to the challenge Brian! Sounds like all kinds of exciting, awesome changes are happening at your school. Isn't it amazing how one small change leads to another and yet another, till the rolling snowball is indeed a revolution? I love it.

    ReplyDelete