Sunday, March 12, 2017

On my side, not my wrist - 3.12 #sol17 Story Challenge

On the day that daylight savings drops its hammer on the US, let's slice about time.

I'm flashing back nine days ago when I was watching a talk by Sir Ken Robinson. He makes the case that ideas we take for granted can enthrall us ("the tyranny of common sense"). Then, around the 7:15 mark in the video, he polls his audience to see how many members are over age 25. He asks those people to raise their hands if they're wearing wristwatches; most are and do. He compares that result to asking a roomful of teenagers in which, it turns out, none have a timekeeping device attached to their wrists. The proliferation of digital devices has made watches largely obsolete in the 21st century for those who choose to dispense with them, or who never don them in the first place. At least, that's the gist of Robinson's hypothesis.

To my recollection, I stopped wearing a watch when I started college. I can't recall the precise reason why I dropped this habit. Perhaps, like Robinson says of his daughter, I no longer saw the point. Timekeepers are all around me -- as is apparent this time of year when I nudge them all ahead an hour. My wife is also (usually) unfailingly patient whenever I ask her the time, no nudging needed.

I maintain the naive hope that, by not outsourcing timekeeping responsibilities to a watch, I keep my internal clock better attuned. Or maybe that's just the upside of being trained for several decades by school bells.

7 comments:

  1. I just recently started wearing a watch again- but my watch has all of the elements of the smartest phone out there- so not sure if that counts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when those of us who are retired, also retire the watch - just because there is no need to know what time it is. It amazes me that the children growing up today 1) know what a watch is and 2) know how to read it if it's not digital!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably wouldn't wear a watch if it weren't a FitBit! So much change in so little time. I love to see other's slices and perspectives! Thanks for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting perspective. I didn't wear a watch for years...I think I stopped around the time I became a mom 13 years ago. But just upgraded my FitBit to one that includes a watch because I kept checking my non-watch version for the time! Old habits, I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! I regularly wear a watch (and yes, I am well over 25) and am glad I do because I'm on the move a lot in my job, and it's always with me. My phone isn't always on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought I would stop wearing a watch, but it's happened. Somehow I can always figure out where I need to be and when. I like the idea that maybe I've developing a better inner sense of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wear a watch I never look at. Perhaps I can find one with a dinosaur on the face particularly Sue from the Field Museum in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete