Monday, March 6, 2017

United Tweets of America - 3.6 #sol17 Story Challenge

On January 16 of this year, I set out to participate in an education-related Twitter chat in each of the 50 states in 50 days, or to see how close I could get to that admittedly arbitrary goal. (Out of the gate, I knew New Mexico was seemingly not on my side.) My purpose for this endeavor was thin, too: I enjoy the thinking and inspiration that flow quickly back and forth in this medium.

Today is day #50; my chat counter sits at 31. Here are a few thoughts on what I've learned so far...

  • Educators who chat on Twitter are friendly and welcoming. In my experience, I can say this without exception.
  • Most chats, just like many face-to-face conversations, have agendas to push (with varying degrees of force). I just happened to feel like I was going with that flow most of these 31 times.
  • Among revisited ideas during my chat tour were many ending with -y: digital literacy, empathy, equity, diversity, agency. Also on multiple dockets were digital tool swaps, edcamp-style free-for-alls, and book-study spin-offs. In short, these Twitter networks offer generous helpings of professional learning.
  • Some hashtags seem to be defunct, at least for formal chat traffic. It's also worth noting that not every chat happens every week and, when they do, life can intervene to preclude participation.

I've made peace with not making my goal. One of the beauty's of an arbitrary goal is its flexibility, after all! I imagine I'll still pursue stops on my map that I haven't frequented yet, just in a more leisurely fashion. Meanwhile, if you're curious to learn more about learning via Twitter, or you've got questions about exploring where I've been, fire away below or hit me up here.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed with such a lofty goal! Even though you did not quite make it, you still earned a sense of accomplishment. I've never thought of setting a goal like this, but I might need to look into it. :-) I have to agree with you that people on Twitter chats are the kindest people. I love the energy that radiates from these conversations. Thank you for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your goal and your plan. My tweeting has been more political of late and I suppose a dip into teacher talk will be uplifiting! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a goal! 50 in 50 - I can't imagine. That's:
    a lot of states
    a lot of chats
    a lot of Tweets!
    - franmcveigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your technological savvy has made your world so much bigger than my old paper and pencil one. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome goal. How did you think of that? Sorry I wasn't your MA chat. We definitely could talk about literac-y

    ReplyDelete