Tuesday, April 18, 2017

I can't believe it's not a run-on sentence, #2

Just cracking -- today, for the first time -- David Elliott's clever verse novel Bull, with its mashed up mythology and rap rhythms, I'm tickled by the word play, the story spinning, picturing legions of Rick Riordan-crazed mythomaniacs in middle school to whom I might make an ecstatic book recommendation until I abruptly confront (on page 6) the first eff bomb dropped, and I find myself needing to re-calibrate the giddy expectations from a moment ago; or do I?

3 comments:

  1. I love that you can make an entire blog post of one sentence! And I think of how many teachers out there would complain about the number of lines it took, that it's not a "complete paragraph", that it doesn't "follow the rules" or meet the requirements. Thank you for proving them all WRONG!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hell. I hate when we have to think like role models instead of fellow readers. At least you got a very cool sentence out of it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.... what a fab, non-run-on sentence!! So sad an F bomb went and ruined the book for a middle school recommendation!

    ReplyDelete