Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Bubbling up

I'm in the middle of reading The Filter Bubble, written by Eli Pariser and published in 2011. It's about the consequences -- both intended and not -- of technology that increasingly personalizes experiences for users. So far, I've highlighted a few juicy quotations such as:

  • "[W]hat is good for consumers is not necessarily good for citizens." (18)
  • "[M]edia that prioritize importance over popularity or personal relevance are useful--even necessary." (75)
  • "Innovation requires serendipity." (96)

And speaking of serendipity... On an unexpected drive today, I heard a radio item featuring Mr. Pariser. Turns out he's the co-founder and CEO of Upworthy.

Now I'm trying to discern if this is a case of "If you can't beat them, join them" or whether Pariser envisioned Upworthy in its hey-day as a filter-bubble busting site. Or perhaps it's just that much can change in six years.


3 comments:

  1. interesting -- I had read articles by and about Pariser but didn't make the Upworthy connection. I followed the site for while but the content did not have enough hold my attention.

    You pose a good question. Somehow, I don't buy the "redemption" explanation. "Experiment" seems more likely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I heard that interview, too. We are about to finish our first year as a one-to-one school and have learned a lot about intended and unintended consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old geezer that I am, I am completely uninformed about such matters. But I do like to read about developments and their impact on people as my way of trying to stay informed, if not actually participating in many of these developments.

    ReplyDelete