Monday, July 31, 2017

Risky business

I signed a waiver that I did not read. In my lame defense, the whole waiver transaction was electronic, without even a copy linked for perusal. I strutted past the signs that proclaimed, "Helmets mandatory." I saw nary a protected head, so I figured my baseball cap would suffice. I read the posted caution about getting off the alpine-slide track if it became wet with rain. ("How?" I should've thought to wonder even as dark storm clouds slid over the sun, making my neck cool.) I felt the first fat drops fall as I rounded turn six. By turn seven, the skies opened; the sled's brake no longer proved effective. I spent the next third of the ride traveling with -- not on -- my sled, experimenting with alternate ways to stop. I also had my camera available (for posterity, I like to tell myself).

The eventual self-arrest came at a reasonable cost: a little skin from one hand, one elbow, and one knee, along with the soaked-through backs of my shorts and shirt. I clambered out of the track with my sled just before the next rider whizzed past -- the last one before the slide closed temporarily due to weather. I considered the possibility of walking down the rest of the way. My escape, though, fueled new hubris, and my scrapes didn't sting much. I dropped the sled on the track, hopped backed on, and finished the ride.

10 comments:

  1. What a slice! A true slice of an adventure -- and a nice reminder to read before we sign, and always where a helmet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you lived to tell the tale...just barely! Either you're foolhardy or were experiencing an adolescent urge to take a risk.... Either way, it's a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness... you are always so adventurous! But I can't figure out what you were doing with a sled! (Shows you how outdoorsy and adventurous I'm not...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alpine-slide sled. More on that quirky transportation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_slide

      Delete
  4. Ouch!Great lead in "I signed a waiver I did not read." I can bet every reader of this SOL has done the same! "I spent the next third of the ride traveling with -- not on -- my sled, experimenting with alternate ways to stop. I also had my camera available (for posterity, I like to tell myself)." Great line that made me cringe as if I was on the line - yet laugh by the time I got to the period! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That made my heart stop a little. I had to keep saying, "He lived to tell the tale." Sounds terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A million years ago I ride the Alpine Slude in Vernon NJ when it first opened. I too left with scraped knees, hands and if I recall correctly--a bruised shoulder. I did wear a helmet:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like when reading a slice reminds us of other stories of our own. Thanks for sharing that memory.

      Delete
  7. Nice sluce slice; with a bit of diced, chopped & scraped! Goodonya for not being hit by next sled. Excellent pic. Just wet & wild. !gnilims peeK

    ReplyDelete