Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Self, propelled

If getting there is truly half the fun, I glean more than my allotment when moving under my own power -- trail running, hiking, backpacking, bicycling, ski touring, or just walking.

My fun cup runneth over during summer when five of these six modes of transportation are abundantly available. (Skiing, your time will come again.) These pursuits encourage me to appreciate the good health I must not take for granted; the public lands in need of stewarding through which I move; the companionship of friends and family; the unexpected encounters with anyone called outside no matter age or experience, whether we're going the same way or in opposite directions.

And it occurs to me I've left off another essential mode of transport: reading. In its way, it moves me too, during summer and all year long. It stretches my mental and emotional faculties; it reveals literate lands in need of their own stewarding; it introduces me to countless others, real and imagined, like me and not.

4 comments:

  1. The way you end your piece with one of the best modes of transportation- reading, is wonderful. I am not a runner, hiker, or biker, but I am a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandwiched between my two "real" trips this is all the traveling I will do through books. Greetings to you from Scotland, June 1938!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post, Brian! I love your "fun cup runneth over" with all those athletic activities and the way you are able to appreciate good health, nature, friends and family and being connected with others. Reading as a mode of transport is such a cool idea and you so poetically described just how: "it reveals literate lands in need of their own stewarding; it introduces me to countless others, real and imagined, like me and not."

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...add connecting to readers and writing online to that list. PS I too am self propelled, although at far more modest pace -- afoot in a small town.

    ReplyDelete