Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Funny thing happened on the way to work

One blog topic to which I resort happens to be transportation and commuting since riding a public bus to work affords unexpected grist for this mill. Today's slice, though, finds me behind the wheel of my own vehicle about 14 hours ago.

It's the first day of school, and I'm a solo commuter -- one more drop in the fast-rising traffic waters where I live. Then, just a few minutes from home, I spy my science-teaching colleague at another bus stop. No cars behind me, I flick on the hazards, roll down the window, and make an unscheduled stop. "Want a lift?" I ask. Once the incredulity clears from his face, he accepts. Our first point of conversation is whether we'll see our history-teaching colleague, another sometime bus rider.

At the next stop, we do. So we gather a new passenger, and now we have a spontaneous carpool. We dispel nervous energy en route to meet our new students.


5 comments:

  1. Serendipity lives! Was it raining? (Or "one more drop" was wonderful creative writing?) Nice driving & great slice. All of your students are fortunate to be in such good company. !gnilims peeK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the spontaneity of your "carpool" to school. Perhaps this will not just be a one-off encounter? Here's to hoping that you will continue to be amused as the week progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "one more drop" in the fast waters of traffic. Lovely metaphor. It seems like a lovely way to get to your first day of school. All the best to you and your colleagues, and especially your students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand...as a walker, there is lots to see and subsequently, write about. Glad you had another slice to share even though you were behind the wheel! There's something to be said about strength in numbers, especially when there's nervous energy to get out. Thanks for sharing and best wishes for a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I often saw a colleague who was a bus commuter. There was about a 10 minute walk from the last stop to our school. I passed a few times, and finally pulled over one day to offer a lift, but he declined, politely, explaining the walk was part of his daily exercise routine.

    ReplyDelete