- Run somewhere. Trails clear of wintry residues prove excellent for clearing my mind.
- Cook something. When school tumult has spiraled well beyond my control, I retreat to the kitchen where more-or-less precise applications of ingredients, utensils, and temperatures can generate reassuringly predictable results.
- Travel somewhere. Escaping my usual frame of reference offers welcome perspective -- on what I'm taking for granted, but shouldn't, as well as anything that might be bugging me, but needn't.
- Read something. Losing myself in others' stories has been a fine and long-time way for me to unwind.
- Ski somewhere. 'Tis just about the season in these parts, for an activity that helps me connect with friends and focus for a few hours on dancing down the slanted expanse of white in front of me.
There you have my five leading self-care habits. Your results may vary.